Want to join our team as a Project Design Engineer?
Want to join our team in Galway as a Project Design Engineer?
- Job Title: Project Design Engineer
- Reporting to: Engineering Manager
- Department: Operations
The Project Design Engineer is responsible for providing a quality and efficient/productive oriented service with all work carried out to a high standard in a timely and best practice fashion. He/she is expected to contribute to this goal by being self-motivated, energetic and creative by virtue of his/her unique personal set of experiences, qualifications and skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and development of new as well as re-development for cost down or product improvements on solenoid, solenoid valve, electromagnet, and sensor products across all product types as required.
- Development of technical design documentation e.g. product drawings, schematics, FMEAs, and product specifications, and test reports, including the drafting of product designs, and creation and maintenance of technical files and reports related to RnD activities.
- Use of engineering design tools as provided by the Company. E.g. Finite Element Analysis, Pro-Engineer (Creo), Autocad, etc.
- Liaising with customers regarding technical aspects of the development of specifications for new products, communicating project progress, and resolving technical roadblocks.
- Work and communicate with a cross-functional group including engineers, manufacturing, sales, purchasing and product management personnel to carry out project to successful conclusion, including for example:
- Supporting the review of customer inquiries for technical merit and feasibility
- Sourcing and costing of materials
- Project planning and execution
- Providing support in manufacturing process development
- Provide technical support to internal and external customers as required.
- Establishment of product performance specifications and compliance matrices in consultation with the customer, and internal stakeholders.
- Assist in the development and generation of project plans and proposals as laid out in applicable procedures within the QMS:
- Establish engineering activities involved and associated schedule of work
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date record of work carried out
- Production, design validation, and qualification activities of prototype components and assemblies, including the building, set-up and operation of engineering and production machines as required, and testing of product prototypes.
- Creation and execution of product test qualification plans and product design validation requirements including for example;
- Design and build of experimental test equipment, methods, and systems.
- Execution of engineering testing and evaluation of results.
- Documentation of test results as per engineering procedures laid out in the Quality Management System (QMS)
- Contribute to generation of production test procedures.
- Participate in design review of new and redeveloped products and manufacturing processes.
- Contribute to the design and development of manufacturing systems and tooling appropriate for the production of new and redeveloped product designs.
- Control of designs and documentation for all market applications including regulated environment applications including but not limited to UL, and Hazardous Location.
- Adhere to all processes and procedures as laid out in the Quality Management System (QMS) including but not limited to:
- Engineering design & drafting procedures.
- Control and filing of engineering change documentation
- Supporting Engineering documentation procedures.
- New Product Development Process (NPDP) and activities.
- Pre-Production Approval Process (PPAP)
- Advance Product Quality Planning (APQP) procedures.
- Maintain all engineering files in soft (electronic) and hard (paper) copy as appropriate
- Apply metrics to monitor and verify success levels of projects.
- Participate on project teams as required.
- Control and filing of engineering correspondence as appropriate
- Assist in compliance evaluation and documentation of technical files in regulatory issues including the understanding and application of governing regulations to product designs, e.g. Use and application of European Norm (EN), or appropriate Industry or National standards and legal directives in the design process to ensure compliance to all applicable regulatory requirements including but not limited to CE requirements.
- Keep up-to-date with changes in related technologies including but not limited to the field of hydraulics, mechanical, electrical, and electronics design methods, materials, manufacturing, etc.
- Promote opportunities for improvement in product design, cost down, and quality areas.
- Training of new engineers as required.
- Training of operators on new processes and products as required.
- National and International travel to tradeshows, suppliers, and customers for project and technical support as required.
- Dealing honestly in all matters relating to the company’s business.
- Required to be flexible to meet the needs of the business.
- Carry out cross functional tasks as instructed and required.
- Ensure the highest levels of customer satisfaction and standard of products is maintained.
- Maintain a clean and neat working environment, ensuring high standards of housekeeping. Instill within the Company a sense of awareness and pride regarding plant appearance and product care.
- Promote and actively engage in an environment of compliance, continuous improvement, responsiveness to change and innovation within the Company.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- In addition to your normal duties you may be required to undertake other related duties from time to time.
Qualifications & Experience:
- B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent third level qualification.
- 7+ years experience working as a design engineer in a manufacturing environment
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle project assignments of large scope and complexity.
- Excellent written and project writing skills.
- An analytical and forward thinker. Be able to recognise a problem before it’s too late.
- Ability to communicate effectively; demonstrated success with verbal and written business communications.
- Have the ability to interface and build relationships with customers, employees and management at various levels within the organisation.
- Maintains a high level of professionalism, integrity and trust. Able to handle sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Must have a ‘can do’ attitude with a willingness to undertake any task required.
- Possess the natural ability to do the right thing for the business, not the easy thing.
This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or that may be required to do either now or in the future.
To apply for this position, please contact us directly or post your CV to email@example.com